Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Ideas

Coming into this class I thought I would have a plethora of ideas. Gender and identity have been key concepts in my photography lately. They are both something I am very interested in. Taking it from a different standpoint seems a bit difficult though. I have complete confidence in myself but I am used to art photography. This is a documentary class so I will just have to learn how to take it from that standpoint.

I am really interested in transgender issues. It seems like that is a popular concept throughout the class so I am not sure if thats what I want to tackle. Id like everyone to see my project as something complete unique, atleast within the classroom. Its weird for me to be in a setting where everyone is interested in similar issues dealing with gender and identity. I need to find exactly what I want to do and make it different from everyone elses.

I went to VCU's Queer Action club last thursday. The topic of the night was Trans 101. I know plenty about trans issues so it was just interesting to sit back and watch somebody else talk about it and answer questions. I think I will keep going to add to issues I can talk about.

Loose Ideas
  • genderqueer
  • labels within the lgbtq community
  • transgender issues
  • drag queens/kings
  • clothing choice vs gender identity
  • gender identity vs sexual preference
  • trans couples

*I'll add more/subtract

No comments:

Post a Comment