Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Frances Benjamin Johnston

This image caught my attention almost immediately. At first glance I felt like there was something slightly peculiar. I realized after looking at it for a few seconds that it was a portrait of three women.

The photographer's name is Frances Benjamin Johnston. This is one of her many self portraits dressed as a man. This is very intriguing to me.

I researched her a little bit on the internet and she keeps coming up in LGBTQ websites. There is some suspect that she may have been a lesbian. I know for sure that she must have been a feminist. Her self portraits brought up a lot of issues with equality of women in that time. Women never wore the pants but here she donned a whole outfit and a mustache.


2 comments:

  1. When you think about documentation, think of FBJ's iamges as a document that tells us that women were exploring gender and identity long before we feminism. Can one be separate from the other?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess that these things can sort of go hand in hand. It does show that women were interested in exploring gender...Its an interesting launching point into transgender ftm studies.

    ReplyDelete